Monday 1 July 2013

Who Wears the Pants in Your House?







































































I made some baby leggins that I have christened Pippi pants....named after Pippi Longstocking because that's what they remind me of.

They were a little torturous to make....using a vintage knit 3ply pattern as a guide.....converting size to 8ply or DK, ridding the elasticated waist band for a ribbed & i-cord version, and chopping off the feet in place of ribbed bands....the original pattern was a pair of knitted stockings, part of a pram set, jacket, pants, hat & mitts.  I really don't know how they used to knit in 3 ply!

I also made sure that I put some extra room in the bottom of these, big nappies, bigger bottoms!!.  I also knew they had to be striped, and now I know why you don't see that many striped knitted pants....they're a bugger to knit and a bugger to sew, lots of counting and un stitching...matching all those stripes took it's toll on me!!

Anyway I will eventually make this a d&m pattern as well....hopefully I can decipher all my scribbled notes I created whilst making these....and then make a couple more sizes up to 12 months.  We'll see, but the hat patterns are the priority for the minute!

Cute hey!

Hope you're all well, enjoy your week.


6 comments:

  1. They are far too cute! Well done, Vicki! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the colour switch with the cord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley, I also have a charcoal cord so they are interchangeable!

      Delete
  3. I love stripes but you are correct, they are a right bugger to knit ( I know why there are two rows to each stripe) and an even bigger bugger to sew up! I learnt something great from these pants - I loved the look of your icord, looked it up and have used it already. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use i-cord that much, but it worked a treat for these pants!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, They are all read and very much appreciated. Except for spam, they're reported to blogger and google+ Vicki x